In 1945, construction began in the little town of Deep River. The town, built to accommodate the scientists of AECL (Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd.), is located on a wide bay of the Ottawa River. Because of this, boat building and racing began immediately.
Through the 1940’s and 1950’s a club was organized. The Yacht Club joined with the Tennis Club to form the Deep River Yacht and Tennis Club. Shore-front property was obtained and a clubhouse was built with a large hall for dining, dancing, and special events. Tennis courts were built.
The Y-Flyer was the first choice in the 1950’s and 1960’s. The club was such a success that its sailors won both national and international Y-flyer championships.
From the 1960’s until today, the club has continued to flourish. More tennis courts have been built, a junior tennis program with full instruction has become very popular, a junior sailing program with full instruction has continued to grow, and the sailing fleet now includes windsurfers, small dinghies as well as large cruising yachts.
The mooring of large yachts has become more secure by the building of the town marina, located on the DRYTC shoreline.
The club continues to host regattas as well as tennis tournaments. A social program with parties, musical programs, and community events has made the Yacht and Tennis Club a fun place to be. Memberships are available as well as day passes. Non-members are always welcome to join in social events.
The DRYTC is a ‘not-for-profit’ corporation without share capital. Information about the club organization and ‘modus operandi’ is contained in the DRYTC Bylaws.
Under an agreement with the Town of Deep River, the club’s washrooms and shower are available for use by all marina users.